Children have a natural interest in the world around them. A high quality Science education enables our children to explore and build up an understanding of that world, not only by acquiring knowledge, but also through developing the skills required for 'working scientifically'.
In our school, through Nursery and Reception, Science is taught following the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and mainly appears within the Area of Learning called ‘Understanding the World’. In Key Stage One it is taught in accordance with the National Curriculum 2014 and aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics;
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of Science enquiries that help them to answer specific scientific questions about the world around them;
- Are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science today and for the future.
The Key Stage One Programme of Study for Years 1 and 2 covers the following strands:
- Working Scientifically
- Animals, including humans
- Everyday Materials
- Uses of Everyday Materials
- Living things and their habitats
At Bellfield Infant School we use our indoor and outdoor environment to support the teaching and learning of Science. We are extremely fortunate to have an outdoor learning area and a pond that children can use to develop their understanding of the world we live in.
Year 1 2022-2023
Year 2 2022-2023
Evidence of Science in our school
Pond Dipping at Bellfield
Autumn Leaves Art - Year 2
Mini Beast Hunt
Melting Wax Crayons Experiment
Science Learning Links
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcAmYGJrETo - Experiments to try at home!